All content in this case study was created prior to the acquisition of EB Charging by Blink Charging.
Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS), as part of their Green Energy Plan, required the installation of chargepoints, to electrify their fleet. Blink Charging (Blink) were chosen to create a reliable, sustainable, and future-proof EV charging infrastructure.
Installation of 1x 7kW Alfen Twin on a concrete base fed from a new VR6 feeder pillar, approximately 20m away. An existing sub-main has been run to the new feeder pillar position, where a VR6 concrete base will need to be installed. The supply is adequate to take a 63a phase supply only.
- 1x VR6 Feeder Pillar with side vents
- 1x Proteus EV 40A EV Metal Clad Distribution Board with PME Fault Detection
- 1x Proteus 63A 2 Pole 30mA Type A RCD
- 5x Proteus blanking modules
- 3x SWA STORM® TAURAS M20 Cable Gland (Pack of 2)
- 1x SWA STORM® TAURAS M25 Cable Gland (Pack of 2)
- 1x Olympic Fixings Fire Resistant Expanding Foam 750ml
- 1x Olympic Fixings C3 Silicone Sealant Clear
- 40x metres 16mm² 3 Core PVC SWA XLPE Armoured Cable
- 4x concrete screws.
- 25x metres trench (approx. 20 metres soft dig, 5 metres block paving)
- 400mm deep trench, electrical warning tape at 150mm
- Installation of 1x 100mm ducts inside the trench
- Concrete base for VR6 feeder pillar in soft ground
- Concrete base for Alfen Twin (600 x 600 x 350mm deep) in soft ground.
- 2x EV Logos with 3-pin plug.
Blink provided an end-to-end service and assumed full responsibility for designing, installing, and operating a charging network across RBFRS sites. We have significant experience working in live environments and
ensured that during installation and commissioning the fire stations were able to respond to emergency calls as usual.
A challenge that had to be addressed was ensuring the charge port hardware matched up to requirements at each site. For example, at Theale Community Fire Station, the public has access to the charge port, so we installed an Alfen Twin at this site, as these are more durable and suitable for public use. The sites also vary in age, which created a challenge for cable routes and distribution boards. However, our design team site surveyed each fire station.
Blink has installed one Alfen Twin charge port at Theale’s Community Fire Station (see images below) and four Alfen Single Pro-lines at Newsham Court, RBSRB’s Headquarters. A further installation is due to be completed at Maidenhead Fire Station by the end of March 2023. The RBSRF have signed off to roll out a further three sites a year. The contract is estimated at £1.3 million and the plans for the next three sites are already in discussion. They also have plans to expand the charge port infrastructure at their initial sites, over the 15-year contract, as demand increases. There is also further potential to electrify their fire engines which will require substantial charging infrastructure.
“Blink has been appointed under a framework agreement to install and manage Electrical Vehicle Charging points (EVCP) over a rolling programme at all Fire Stations within the County of Royal Berkshire. Working with the team from Blink has been a smooth and confident process from the administration to the complete installation. The workmanship of the installation is of a high standard and has not caused any disruption to our sites, with clear communication at each stage of the installation programme. Detailed documentation and support given by the Blink Sales team have been outstanding, with active support to ensure that RBFRS are prepared for their electric fleet. Highly recommended, with a positive and proactive team.”
RBFRS Facilities Manager